Sunday, February 10, 2013

Mills and boons- Lovers



I am a voracious mills and boons reader!

I think i started reading it, during my degree days. The purpose is to improve my vocabulary. It could have been any english book, but i wanted romance, so asked the second hand shop keeper in madurai near meenakshi amman temple.

He said ," These are all the books ma! many women will come only for these books,its fully romance-love stories"

He made me understand as much as he could that these were all the romance books he has!

I was little hesitant to buy, because during my degree days, my pocket money used to be just 20-25Rs a day! Frankly speaking, i never had any expense for those 25 ruppees also, so money will always be there at my hand!

With a confused state of mind, i got few books and came back to home! I had to hide it inside my bag, because, Front page of the book had 2 lovers hugging each other, didn't wanna my father to notice that!

I hadn't read those books for minimum 2 days, with a self doubt whether i will like those stories? but curiosity got out my hand, so started reading a book by an author called Marjorie Lewty! She is not a very famous M and b author, yet a good one.

The book is called Riviera romance! It was a story happening in the 70's , how a successful lawyer falls in love with a typist! I m sure those days, only typist post exist for woman if not nurse!

 I literally got addicted to it, as soon as i read that book! And with the same speed finished, rest all books!

Mills and boons gives you an exhilarating feeling and suggests that a dream world do exists! Guys should never blame M and bs due to the fact, those books always shows guys/men in positive way. Most of the time at least.

Almost 90% of the hero’s will be rich, good looking, tall, handsome, arrogant yet loving, will do anything for their girl! they just sweep you of our feet!

 Mesmerizing isn’t it? 

 Because country like india, where women are not treated with complete respect they really deserve is my personal feeling! But, the hero of these stories do respect and treat woman right!

Hence, Mills and boons have the quality of making women feel special about themselves, in fact an imaginary world, where everything is magical! I cannot blame girls for being addicted to these books! 

I asked one of my married friend, she still reads m & b’s – She said,” I read it because, my husband is  not romantic, I expected a lot more from him, they show their attention only for few months after marriage, later your desire to be romantic will be same, yet guys get bored and they seek other diversion..like sports etc….

But we woman we don’t have any other go, hence I m reading this and keeping myself calm! Then I felt, if something is making you happy and relaxed, it definitely needs an applause! Still I really feel, most woman around the world read M & B for the same reason suggested by my friend.

Coming to my personal judgment, I love mills and boons, though its giving me an image, not a very creative girl interested in learning something useful or potential. Its okay! As long as it makes me happy!

 If I am very upset, need in need of a friend, sure I will buy a romance book and indulge in my own dream world. It calms me like no one does! It soothes my pain and get me back into normal mode!



Even some of my friends (girls) asked me, aren’t you bored? You are  reading it, since your teenage! I said, “ I m not bored” because this is the secret I found  to keep myself relaxed.

My only suggestion if not an advise to future Romance novel readers is, yes, its good to indulge ourselves in fantasies, but not in real life! Mills and boons  hero's never exists! They exist only in the imagination of the writers, not in the hard real world! If you are matured enough to keep the book world and real world apart, please go for it!

 If you are a person expecting the dream ,white horse riding knight to come and save you from the wicked witch, hmm, you better read some real stuffs.

But to me, M & B’s are like My favorite food, tastes awesome, but it must be eaten once in a while to keep  yourself relaxed and happy

Prathi surendran..

3 comments:

  1. Btw,Prathipa whar's the story behind story books of these genre being named "mills and boons"...that in itself must be a very interesting story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mills and boon i think both are two different men started this company during 40's or 50's, it is london based company which delivers books of romance genre
    Most of these stories contain typical romance, hero fights, heroine fights, they love, they again fight and lived happily ever after kinda...
    U can say the tamil movie Mouna ragam --kind....
    But mostly guys had never connected with these stories, its made for women ! but guys are always potrayed in the right notion like,, good looking, hot, rich etc...
    hope the info is sufficient kevin..have a good day
    :-))

    ReplyDelete